Diwali, known as the Festival of Lights, is a vibrant and enchanting celebration held annually in London at the iconic Trafalgar Square. This grand event stands as one of the world’s largest and most awe-inspiring festivals, drawing in countless visitors from every corner of the globe. If you’re in London, this autumn, you must know about the numerous captivating ways to immerse yourself in the lively Diwali festival in the city.
To experience the magic of this festival, book an extravagant stay with the Lancaster Gate Hotel in London and celebrate traditions, culture, art, music, and food, right at your doorstep!
Significance of the Festival
Diwali or Deepawali is a festival of Indian origin, it is celebrated annually in the northern hemisphere of India. The auspicious day celebrates the triumph of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair. It is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and some Buddhist communities to mark different historical events which all symbolise this one key message.
Diwali in London
Diwali in London, aka “Diwali on the Square,” is hosted by the Mayor of London in collaboration with the Diwali in London Committee. Start your celebration with the most awaited Diwali event being held in Trafalgar Square, moments away from your hotel near Lancaster Gate Station London. A stage is set up right in the centre of the bustling area, hosting a lineup of amazing live music and dancing gigs, engaging comedy and puppet shows and cookery theatres representing India and its rich culture!
What’s In-Store for You?
- An opening ceremony featuring two hundred talented dancers in authentic Indian attires dazzling the main square, followed by the exciting public Garba event, open for all to enjoy!
- Browse a tempting mix of street food stalls offering plenty of vegan and vegetarian delights made with exotic spices and flavours to try.
- Get your hands on beautiful handmade jewellery and gifts at an array of craft stalls and opt for superb interactive activities perfect for everyone such as Bollywood classes, yoga and meditation, sari and turban tying, lantern making, henna painting, and much more.
- Take a walk around Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus, a short walk away from your luxurious Lancaster accommodation to see the lit-up Diwali decorations and soak in the feel-good and lively atmosphere of the festival.
- Don’t miss out on the presentation of the Diwali Queen, who is part of Kalasetu, a collaborative project between Subrang Arts and Kinetika, commissioned on behalf of ‘This is Croydon’, the London Borough of Culture 2023.
Brighten up your much-awaited London holiday with the annual Diwali celebration on 29th October this year! Reserve a stay in the heart of the city with a 4-star hotel in Lancaster and be sure to arrive at Trafalgar Square early to avoid the rush hour. Oh, and don’t forget to take back home some Diwali souvenirs to remind you of a culturally rich and unforgettable experience in London.